Our stint in Nassau is almost up (I’m due in 2 weeks) but from there where are we going??? We’ll your guess is as good as mine. I think our problem is that we have way too many options out there.
Option #1: Patagonia. I know half of you are thinking “what the hell are you thinking?!” I was the same way when Carl mentioned it, actually I thought, isn’t that a clothing brand? But I can see why the clothing brand is probably a little more well known than the region.
After our family and friends have visited we would head south down past the Exumas into the Caribbean. Stop over in the BVI’s to visit some friends then make a hasty exit further south to avoid hurricane season. We would then scoot across missing Venezuela – we hear it’s pretty unstable at the moment. Across the coast of Columbia and through the Panama Canal, we may even hang in Panama for a while. We have been dying to see the Boca Del Toro area. Then all the way down south to Patagonia and of course if you’re down that far you may as well hit Antarctica.
Pros: it’s the path less travelled, which spells ADVENTURE! And the pictures look beautiful and it would be a great time to learn Spanish.
Con: it’s bloody cold and rough seas, not sure if the girls would be up for it but then again it would take us a while to get there and by that time we would be over the tropical waters and ready for some icebergs.
Option #2: North West Passage. As above, “what the hell are you thinking!” I have always wanted to go to Alaska – who doesn’t like the Deadliest Catch or the Proposal (movie). This would in a round about way get us there. We would head from here straight up to the New England area where we would visit Grandma for a few weeks. From there we could cruise up the coast of Maine and hit either Nova Scotia or Newfoundland for the winter. Snow baby! We would have to wait for the right time to do the passage that’s if it’s open at all. Cut through and hit Alaska for another winter.
Pros: to say we’ve done the North West Passage, Alaska! and show the new baby off to Grandma and Grandpa. We would be able to make the trip slowly and be able to winterize the boat while in the States.
Cons: I’m not that interested in going back to America quite yet, I want to do something new. Also this would end our tropical adventure and we wouldn’t be able jump to all the Caribbean islands.
We still have a bunch of other options still on the cards but these two seem to be the major players. We could head to Panama and hang out for a while, do the Pacific jump or even cross the pond to the UK and Scotland. It’s a crappy problem to have, we want to see EVERYTHING! NOW!
Realistically we have the next month to decide on our path. It’s a super exciting time but extremely overwhelming. We’ll have a new baby and have to decide on a north or south route.
The above routes and maps are for reference only and have been produced by an EXTREMELY armature sailor.